Hello, everyone! Welcome to the Altenew Educators blog hop with the theme “Anything But a Card” !!! If you just came from Eva Bussom’s blog, then you’re on the right track. If you get lost, you can find the complete blog hop list on Altenew’s blog or at the end of this post.
When Erum invited me to join this hop, I was so excited because of the theme! I enjoyed creating projects that were not cards for a change, and I hope you will like them, too!
MINI MONOGRAM NOTEBOOKS
- With a blending tool, blend two to three colors on the front cover of the notebook. Add water splatters. Make sure the inks are dry before going to the next step.
- Prepare the surface with the antistatic tool. Using a Misti, stamp the background image using Versamark ink and emboss with Rose Gold embossing powder.
- Color the top part of Neenah Solar White cardstock. Add the gold foil washi tape on the lower portion and die cut the letter K. Die cut extra 4 letter Ks and adhere on top of each other for added dimension. Glue to the cover.
I created these mini notebooks for a sweet friend of mine. I hope she will like them! Make sure to blend the distress inks well or create an ombre look. I also added some water splatters for added interest. This will also look good using stencils or cover dies, too!
ALCOHOL INKED NOTEBOOK COVER
WARNING: Alcohol inks are highly toxic when fumes are inhaled. The alcohol evaporates very quickly and leaves vapors in the environment and the air you are breathing in so it is imperative to wear proper protective gear such as the correct type of respirator mask to protect you from the harmful airborne particles. Best to work outdoors where there is air circulation. If not, make sure a window/door is opened, have a fan blowing and an air purifier in the room while wearing a respirator mask. It is also important to wear gloves when working with alcohol inks to protect your skin and hands. A mask is likewise required when sealing your artowork with Kryon Kamar Varnish and clear crystal.
- Clean the surface with alcohol.
- Add alcohol and alcohol inks and move the pigments using a hair dryer. Work in sections. Add Piñata brass in certain areas.
- When the inks are dry, protect the image using Kryon Kamar Varnish. (Make sure you’re wearing protective mask when spraying this!). Spray 3 times with 30 minutes in between sprays to allow the surface to dry bewteen applications.
- Lastly, spray the cover with Kryon Clear Crystal.
I might add a die cut word later on or maybe a name or a monogram on the cover. Still not sure.
WASHI TAPE ORGANIZER
- Paint the entire surface of the drawer units with white acrylic paint.
- Cover the sides with washi tape.
- Measure the front of the drawer and cut out Neenah Solar white with the same measurement as the front of the drawer.
- Cover this with washi tape and color using Copic markers.
- Adhere this to the front of the drawer with glue.
- Attach the label pulls.
I had fun making this cute organizer. I was planning to use this to organize some of my washi tapes but when my daughter saw it, she asked if she can use it as storage for her jewelry. 🙂 I colored the Botanical Rhapsody washi on the cover of the drawers only for added contrast to the black and white print. Somehow, the alcohol inks beaded up in certain areas of the tape which just added more dimension. I love it when materials react a certain way unexpectedly. When the surfaces were dry, I sealed the colored portion with Distress Glaze.
- Apply gesso to the entire surface of the journal page and allow to dry.
- Use different distress stains and oxide sprays and add water. Tilt the page to allow pigments to move. Dry with a craft tool.
- Add spatters of water using your hand.
- Create ghosting effect by using stencils and a baby wipe.
- Add patterns using the bubble wrap stencil and doodle around some of the circles with a permanent black pen.
- Add white and black splatters.
- Stamp and emboss the wings and the sentiment on vellum and emboss with Rose gold embossing powder.
- With a blending tool, create the base of the butterfly and glue the wings on it.
- Tie the gold metallic thread.
- Die cut white paper using the Creative Edges notebook die.
- Add a strip of torn washi tape from the Rose Petal washi tape.
- Glue the notebook edge die cut on top.
- Stamp sentiments using Versafine Onyx Black.
- Glue the sentiment and adhere the butterfly using foam squares.
“To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”Kurt Vonnegut
I’ve been wanting to start an art journal but I haven’t because I was fearful of the outcome–until now. I’ve been so inspired by Tiffany Solorio and Tania Ahmed with all their beautiful mixed media work so I took the plunge and went for it. Tania’s Altenew class, Demystifying Mixed Media, helped me a lot in freeing myself from the fear of a blank page. She talked about composition, color theory and so much more. I have a feeling the more I practice, the less worried about the outcome I will be. The sentiment is perfect– you just have to be brave to try, experiment and just let go!!!
$200 in total prizes! Altenew is giving away a $35 gift certificate to 2 lucky winners and a $20 gift certificate to 5 winners! Please leave a comment on the Altenew Card Blog and/or each designer’s blog post on the blog hop list below by 07/04/2021 for a chance to win.
There’s MORE! What’s a hop without YOU?! We have included an Inlinkz at the Altenew blog for you to enter your gorgeous Altenew “Anything But A Card” creations. We will pick 2 of our favorite handmade creations from those who joined the linky party and they will each receive a $15 Altenew gift certificate!
Altenew will draw 7 random winners from the comments left on each stop of this blog hop and announce the winners on the Altenew Winners Page on 07/06/2021.
I hope you liked the Anything-But-A-Card projects I made for this hop. The next stop is Roteja Galvan . I love hearing from you so I hope you’ll leave a comment and let me know which project you liked the most. This way, you’ll get a chance to win some fab prizes from Altenew. ❤️ It would be nice if you can follow me too on Instagram @mylittleatticstudio. I post all of my works there. Thanks so much for dropping by!!! Stay safe everyone and happy crafting!
So many beautiful projects Nenette – I do love the little notebooks especially!
Helen, all of your projects are incredibly gorgeous! The little drawer cabinet was my favorite!
so many inspirations you’ve created – love the alcohol ink notebook!
LOVE your notebooks!
Beautiful ideas! I want to try the notebook projects
Beautiful projects Nenette! The notebooks are my 🤩 favorite! Thanks for the amazing inspiration!
Of course, I loved the journal with the giant “K” on the front, but my favorite was the alcohol ink covered journal with nothing else on the front. The colors are gorgeous on that one! Thanks for sharing, but I might add that it was VERY hard to find out where to leave a comment on your blog!! I had to scroll up and down, up and down, up and down three times before I finally saw the little comments button at the very top. It would be nice if leaving comments were less difficult.
Wow! So many great projects. Like them all but especially like the notebook covers because they would make such great gifts. Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration!
I”m happy you liked them, Michele <3
Such great projects! They are all so creative. I like the initial notebooks as they would be so handy to give to friends, but think the washi tape organizer is the coolest of all!
Yes the mini notebooks would be great to give as gifts. I should get started making them for Christmas <3
Wow! All the projects are really amazing! The art journal is my favorite though. I just love the beautiful colors.
Thank you so much, Nandini! I will definitely be making more <3
Such wonderful inspiration! I think I’m in idea overload!
ha! ha!!! So sweet, Vickie! Thanks so much! <3
Absolutely stunning snd creative! Love the little drawers you created! ❤️❤️❤️
So industrious of you and so many fabulous projects all using the wonderful Altenew products! Love the upcycling of the organizing drawers especially!
Hi Beverly! I got so excited with the idea of projects aside from cards. 🙂 Thanks so much!
Those little notebooks are awesome. What a great gift they would make.
Thanks so much, Roxanne!
Wow, so many gorgeous ideas. Love the notebooks and the Washi tape/jewelry storage. I have just the storage box with a magnetic lid, that has been waiting for an idea like this to finish.
I’m glad I was able to inspire you, Pam! <3
Your mixed media is fabulous! I LOVE the notebooks!
Yay! Thanks so much, Meghan! <3
These are stunning projects and I love them all but especially the Washi Tape Cabinet
SO happy you like it! <3
Girl, I don’t even have the words! I am blown away! Wow!
Hola, Amiga! Thanks so much! <3
I love your sweet washi tape organizer. The colors are great!
Thanks so much! <3
I love what all you did for this challenge. I’m going to do some notebooks for my friends!
I’m happy you liked them, Peg!
lovely projects. I’m working on my journal cover.
Thanks so much! I enjoyed make it <3
Wow! You are so creative! I love the monogrammed notebooks!
Glad you liked them, Lauryne!
These are beautiful! 🙂
Thanks so much, Kelsey! <3
WOw!! So many wonderful ideas for creaeting super projects! I lov ethe monogrammd notebooks! So special!! 🙂
So glad you liked the projects! <3 Thanks for dropping by!
So many great projects. I like the drawer and tape coloring. The notebook covering is fantastic too!
Thank you so much <3
So pretty. Great idea. Love these little notebook covers.
Thank you so much! the little notebooks are also easy to make 🙂
These are so sweet! Beautifully done
Thank you so much! <3
I love your color combos on each of your projects! Beautiful projects! Love the washi tape organizer!
Your creations are all so beautiful and unique Nenette, I really enjoyed seeing all of them. I really like your instructions on how to achieve the alcohol inks look on the notebook cover. The Washi Tape organizer is awesome, I can’t wait to make one. Thanks for sharing your talent and the inspiration your giving us !